Sunday, July 8, 2007

DAVID MILLAR SAYS "THANK YOU, ENGLAND"

I WANTED TO DO SOMETHING. David Millar paid tribute to his fellow British citizens today with his breakaway. He relayed his intentions and feelings to Cyclingnews this way: "I just tried to kind of be in the race today, so this [Polka-dot Jersey] is a total bonus. I just attacked because I was kind of in a dark angry mood this morning, so I wanted to do something."

ON A SUICIDE MISSION. "I remember in '94 when I came to the Tour when I was a kid. I queued up in Brighton at the barriers for like four hours for the race to come through and then the two riders came through and ten minutes later Boardman had attacked off the front. I remember that made my whole day, seeing Boardman off the front. And so, I thought today, 'you know what, I'm just going to go on a suicide mission,' and it ended up being productive, which is a real bonus."

I JUST WANTED TO SAY 'THANK YOU.' "I just wanted to say 'thank you' to everyone, it's just been such an opportunity, it was the one opportunity in my life to do that. It's been amazing, there were flags and my name painted out and everyone was just cheering my name, it was nice to hear 'David' being shouted out in an English accent and not 'Davide, Davide.' It was the first time I've had 'David, David' the whole road, so that was great, it was just like wonderful, it's a big 'thank you' to everyone for coming out and supporting us. It was a good day. The crowd was huge, insane. Everywhere we went people were supporting us racing."

No comments: